The American Legion Department of Michigan Members, Spouses or Dependents Learning Partner Scholarship was established in 2022 and is given annually to a member, spouse or dependent of a current member of The American Legion, Department of Michigan (TALDOM), the Michigan American Legion Auxiliary, or the Michigan Sons of the American Legion. The scholarship was developed in partnership between The American Legion, Department of Michigan and Columbia Southern University to provide educational opportunities and to give back to those who give so much.
The scholarship will cover up to $32,700 in one online degree program. The scholarship will be directly applied to the recipient’s tuition for up to 60 semester hours or 36 consecutive months in the selected online degree program, whichever comes first.
- Eligible candidates must have a high school transcript or equivalent (GED).
- Scholarship applicants must be available to begin their coursework within six months of the date of the award.
- Capable of maintaining a 2.0 undergraduate GPA or 3.0 graduate GPA.
- Students who have previous college experience must meet academic requirements for admission to the university.
- Remain in good standing with the university throughout his or her degree program.
- Current students must already meet these requirements for consideration.
- Membership in The American Legion Department of Michigan, the Michigan American Legion Auxiliary, or the Michigan Sons of the American Legion is required prior to application for this scholarship.
- Must be a member in good standing within The American Legion Department of Michigan, the Michigan American Legion Auxiliary, or the Michigan Sons of the American Legion.
The scholarship application will open on March 1, 2023. All applications/scholarship essays must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. on June 28, 2023. The selection process will end on July 1.
Applications will be evaluated exclusively by executive staff members of Columbia Southern University and verified via The American Legion Department of Michigan. Notification of selection will be made to the awardee within 7 business days upon completion of the selection process and verification by all parties that the awardee is eligible to receive the scholarship.