The Computer Security Technician course provides students with the basic knowledge and skills necessary to become an IT security professional. This course is designed to fully prepare students to sit for and pass the CompTIA Security+ certification exam. Students will gain the knowledge and skills necessary to provide information security for infrastructure, applications, and operations while being able to identify risks and understand risk mitigation activities. They will also acquire the knowledge necessary to apply security controls to maintain confidentiality, integrity, availability, and identify appropriate technologies and products. In addition, students learn to manage, maintain, troubleshoot, install, operate, and configure basic network infrastructure as well as describe networking technologies, understand basic design principles, adhere to wiring standards, and use testing tools. This course is designed to fully prepare students to sit for and pass the CompTIA Security+ and CompTIA Network+ Certification exams.
The purpose of this program is to prepare students to support the IT infrastructure through installing and configuring systems to secure applications, networks, and devices as well as perform threat analysis and respond with appropriate mitigation techniques. It also prepares students to students learn to manage, maintain, troubleshoot, install, operate, and configure basic network infrastructure as well as describe networking technologies, understand basic design principles, adhere to wiring standards, and use testing tools. Students are eligible for an optional externship with a local employer after successful course completion.
These programs are not eligible for Federal Student Aid, military tuition assistance, VA funding or Learning Partner discounts.
- Design, implement, configure, manage, and maintain networks and network devices
- Troubleshoot network problems
- Identify strategies developed by cyber adversaries to attack networks and hosts and the countermeasures deployed to defend against them
- Apply the principles of organizational security and the elements of effective security policies
- Apply the technologies and uses of cryptographic standards and products
- Install and configure network- and host-based security technologies
- Enforce wireless and remote access security
- Apply the standards and products used to enforce security on web and communications technologies
- Implement strategies for ensuring business continuity, fault tolerance, and disaster recovery
- Identify application and coding vulnerabilities and the development and deployment methods designed to mitigate them
- Communicate effectively and professionally
Optional Volunteer Externship Opportunity
Learners who complete this program are eligible to participate in an optional volunteer externship opportunity with a local company/agency/organization whose work aligns with this area of study in order to gain valuable hands-on experience. As learners progress through their eLearning program, an Externship Coordinator will reach out to coordinate placement.
Note: Additional documentation including health records, immunizations, drug-screening, criminal background checks, etc. may be required by the externship facility.