Course Code: CSU-MA 08
Course Duration: 4 months
Contact Hours: 375
This program covers information on the medical assisting profession, interpersonal skills, medical ethics and law, medical terminology, basics of insurance billing and coding, telephone techniques, scheduling appointments, medical records management and management of practice finances. A great course for physicians medical office professionals! This program prepares students to function effectively in many of the administrative and clerical positions in the healthcare industry. It provides students a well-rounded introduction to medical administration that delivers the skills students require to obtain an administrative medical assistant position or advance within their current healthcare career.
This course covers the following key areas and topics:
- Interpersonal skills, medical ethics, and basic medical law
- Telephone techniques and skills for scheduling appointments
- Medical terminology
- Basics of insurance billing and coding
- Medical records management and management of practice finances
Education and Certifications
- Students should have or be pursuing a high school diploma or GED.
- There are no state approval and/or state requirements associated with this program.
- Students who complete this program have the opportunity to pursue national certification:
- National Health career Association (NHA) Certified Medical Administrative assistant (CMAA)
Medical Administrative Assistant Detailed Course Information
- An overview of the healthcare industry and expectations for a healthcare professional
- Role of the medical administrative assistant
- History of medicine, medicine and the law, medical malpractice, medical ethics, andmedical practice specialties
- Patient communication techniques, appointment scheduling and general office duties
- Basic terminology used in the medical office
- Medical records management, confidentiality of the medical record, initiating a medical record for a new client and filing reports in the medical record
- HIPAA review and patient bill of rights and confidentiality, ethics and legal issues
- Financial practice management, health insurance & billing and coding procedures
- Professional fees, billing & collecting procedures, accounting systems
- Medical accounting, financial statements, cost analysis, budgets for the medical practice
- Specimen collection, laboratory safety and federal and state regulations
- Assisting with medical emergencies
Students who complete the Columbia Southern University Medical Administrative Assistant program will be prepared to sit for the National Health career Association (NHA) Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) exam. Although there are no state approval, state registration or other state requirements for this program, students who complete this Medical Administrative Assistant program at Columbia Southern University will be prepared and are eligible to sit for this national certification exam. Students who complete this program can and do sit for the NHA - CMAA national certification exam and are qualified, eligible and prepared to do so. Columbia Southern University works with each student to complete the exam application and register the student to take their national certification exam.
Clinical Externship / Hands on Training / Practicum
Although not a requirement of this program, once students complete the Medical Administrative Assistant program they have the ability to participate in a clinical externship and/or hands on practicum so as to practice the skills necessary to perform the job requirements of a Medical Administrative Assistant. Students will be assisted with completing a resume and/or other requirements necessary to work in a hospital, physicians practice, clinic and/or with other healthcare organizations. All students who complete this program are eligible to participate in an externship and will be placed in a healthcare organization near their location. Columbia Southern University works with national healthcare organizations and has the ability to place students in clinical externship opportunities nationwide.Program Details (PDF)