Columbia Southern University Achieves SACSCOC Accreditation Milestone
ORANGE BEACH, Ala. – On Dec. 6, 2022, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) board of trustees granted institutional accreditation to Columbia Southern University. Through achieving this accreditation, CSU effectively becomes one of the most affordable, completely online, SACSCOC accredited universities in the nation.
Achieving SACSCOC accreditation status not only ensures the continued quality and integrity of a university’s academic programs, it also serves to verify that an educational institution has established and placed into practice instructional, student support and other services to assist students in achieving their educational goals.
“After much preparation and envisioning greater opportunities for our institution and our students, I am thrilled to announce that we have achieved SACSCOC membership,” said Ken Styron, DBA, president. “Even more humbling is the opportunity to provide one of the most affordable and accessible pathways for adult learners to achieve higher education in the nation.”
- According to College Scorecard's four-year distance-only U.S. colleges, CSU ranks in the top 1% for affordability based on tuition and fees. (Dec. 5, 2022)
- CSU is ranked No. 1 for economic value in Alabama for business bachelor's degrees based on a Georgetown University study.
- CSU is the only fully online university in the U.S. ranked in the top 5% for Degree Choice’s economic score.
- CSU’s costs are lower than the published tuition and fees of any online degree program at an Alabama four-year university. (Dec. 5, 2022)
- In 2021, more than 60% of CSU graduates completed their degree with zero debt, compared to 45% of bachelor's degree recipients graduating from four-year public and private nonprofit colleges in 2020 according to APLU.org data.
Obtaining SACSCOC accreditation is a multi-step process. An institution must first become an applicant, next a candidate, and finally, a member (accredited). In addition to its newly granted SACSCOC accreditation status, CSU was granted accreditation by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC) on Jan.15, 2001, and has maintained its accreditation status since it was initially granted. For more information, please email CSU-Communications@ColumbiaSouthern.edu or visit SACSCOC.org.
About Columbia Southern University
As an innovator in online education, CSU was established in 1993 to provide an alternative to the traditional university experience. CSU offers online associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees such as business administration, criminal justice, fire administration and occupational safety and health. Visit ColumbiaSouthern.edu or call (877) 347-6050 to learn more.